The Louisiana Social Pledge

We pledge our allegiance to Louisiana. We will embrace what makes us and our state unique. Louisiana will be recognized as a leader and innovator of the New South. Many great leaders of the future will come from this state. And we will show both the media and politicians that we are smarter than them. We will no longer have our resources exhausted and our people used and left behind. We will work hard and play hard. We will protect each other. We will support each other. We pledge that we will do whatever we can to get these things in motion right now. We will no longer wait for a path to be cleared for us. We will clear the path ourselves. And we ain’t giving up easily. We will socialize in the real world just as well as we do on the internet…in hopes to organize ourselves effectively.


Thursday, August 22, 2013

The Optimistic Candle (Louis Toliver Jr-Swartz, LA)


Knifed in the back countless times from either actions or words. Yet, I am still able to get up everyday and face what is wrong with this screwed up world to make things right, to shine a little light.  If these stab wounds were any truth, I would surely be dead by now.   However, that ‘truth’ is just a lie because it is caused by fear.  I refuse to live in fear.  I choose to live in love.  Through the darkness of humanity, I am an optimistic candle.   Sometimes, when I am laying alone at night in my bed I reach behind my back and I am shocked to find my blood on my hands and the pain that goes along with it.  But I am an optimistic candle and if I must bleed to death then I shall do it. I am a river of wax, so light me up. I never want to see the day that the light of those who seek to love or for truth shall dim or fade out. Have you ever been in a dark room during a storm and the lights go out? How relieved are we when we get a candle lit and it brings light to our eyes? But have you ever used one candle to light other candles and the light grows?  The room seems safe because the shadows disappear and the door is visible.  It takes just one candle to light a room, how many candles to light a city? I’m not really sure but I am an optimistic candle.  I know there are many candles out there and I hope they will come together.  I hope they at least try to light up a city, because I am optimistic candle.  At times, my flame grows dim, at times, I think it will go out.  But I have faith that candles could be everlasting, led by the ambition for light.  As their wax melts down to their end, will there be other candles to light us? I used to think as I laid stuck to the harden wax I bled onto my bed that I would be recycled as I waited in my dreams for a match to bring me back to life.  But my reality, my truth, is that many candles have come to pass the same flame onto me as I do unto my children. I am optimistic candle waiting for the storm to pass so the power, the light and the truth will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment