Skip to main content

Ring in the Holidays (Lance Wise - Monroe, LA)

 


A small house in Monroe, LA. Monroe is a city surrounded by small rural farming communities. Early afternoon on Thanksgiving Day in the 1970s.

(FRANCES, an estranged housewife in her 40s, is tidying up her dining area in her kitchen. She is wearing a house dress or muumuu with a house coat over it. She has flat house slippers on. Her hair is styled in a short afro. The table is set with a centerpiece of flowers in a large coffee can, but nothing else. There is a counter upstage left that has pots and pans full of food ready to serve. There are also a couple desserts, a four-layer coconut cake and a sweet potato pie. She is expecting her children to come over and eat with her. The wall-mounted phone rings. She picks up with no hesitation.)

FRANCES

Hey, Peggy…yes, gal! I tole you to come ova at two. Yo brotha stayed up late gettin’ dis turkey done. Now I still got a pecan pie in da oven…Yes, I know how much you love dem. I can’t wait to see y’all. It’s been a long time. Da doe will be open when you come cuz yo uhta knucklehead brothas and sistas been in and out the house all morning. Be safe. See you soon. All right, chile. Bye-bye.

(FRANCES hangs up and resumes her tidying. She finishes setting the table with placemats and flatware. She goes to the cabinets above the counter to pick up plates for the table. She starts to hum an old church hymn (At The Cross, Near the Cross, Guide Me Over O Great Jehovah, or similar) as she continues her task. Unnoticed by her, her estranged husband LEANDER, also in his 40s, enters. LEANDER is taller than Francis with a clean-shaven head and face. LEANDER is wearing a jacket with a casual button up shirt underneath and denim overalls and work boots. He watches her for a bit with a smile. He’s happy to see her in her element. He may be have been drinking before he arrived. FRANCES’S back is facing him.)

LEANDER

Hey there, Francis. (he takes off his hat and holds it)

FRANCES

(jerking upright abruptly and freezes. She doesn’t move, but is clearly panicked. She doesn’t turn to face him.)

Hello, Leander.

LEANDER

Leander? Leander? Why so formal? Has it been that long?

FRANCES

Whaddya mean? (still not moving)

LEANDER

I said, “Why so formal? Has it been that long?”

FRANCES

            (slowly turning around and feigns a smile)

I reckon ‘bout a couple years.

LEANDER

Wow, you are still the loveliest woman I had ever laid eyes on! (He steps further into the house into the small living area.)

FRANCES

Thank ya, Leander.

LEANDER

There you go being formal again. You talkin’ to me like we strangers?!

FRANCIS

I’m sorry…Le--, I mean, Buster.

LEANDER

That’s more like it.

(He makes himself at home, taking off his jacket and flinging it onto the couch, then sits down on the couch on the other end that has a missing leg that is being propped up by a coffee can. He unbuttons the second button on his shirt. He is trying to cool off. After unbuttoning and seated, he starts to feel relaxed.)

Well, Franny…How you holdin’ up?

FRANCES

I’m doin’ purty fair to middlin’. How’s you, Buster?

(relaxes a little bit and continues her dinner preparations, but is very aware of LEANDER and where he is in her house.)

LEANDER

I can say ‘bout the same thang. Those chullen of ours running me ragged. I gotta work mo’ now than ever.

FRANCES

I’m sorry.

LEANDER

I bet you are.

(gets up and starts looking around at the furniture in the small living area adjacent to the dining area)

FRANCES

Wanna drink a water? You look sweaty.

LEANDER

Why that would be mighty nice of you! I am parched.

(FRANCES exits SL to the kitchen. LEANDER examines the wall art and photos hanging on the upstage wall of the living area.  After a moment, he calls out to FRANCIS.)

Franny, what’s taking you so long?

FRANCES

(FRANCES enters hurriedly, crosses over to the living area and hands him the water and stands near him.)

Here you go, Buster.

LEANDER

(LEANDER takes the water and drinks it quickly and let’s out a very satisfied “AAHH!” He quickly hands the glass back to FRANCES, who takes the glass back to the kitchen.  LEANDER returns back to the couch, this time even more comfortable. He leans back on the couch, and his legs are in a wide stance.)

That was very good. I thought you woulda spit in my water or somethin’. (yells to her in the kitchen) Ooh, Franny. What you got smelling so good in here?

FRANCES

You know I cooked for Thanksgiving. I got a pecan pie in the oven. (reenters) Ain’t ready yet, but do you wanna piece a sweet potato pie?

LEANDER

How can I say no to that! Gon’ head and cut me a slice.

FRANCIS

(FRANCES goes to the counter and cuts him a piece of sweet potato pie and serves it to him. As she hands it to him. She has a little trepidation.)

LEANDER

            (LEANDER eats his piece of pie on the couch and truly enjoys it!)

Just like I remember, you make the best potato pie! Ooh wee! Sooo, aren’t you going to ask me?

FRANCES

Axe you what, Buster?

LEANDER

‘Bout the chullen you left behind in MY house. (smirks) Do you even think about ‘em or care to know how they holdin’ up?

FRANCES

            (FRANCES stops and looks at him as directly as possible from her side of the house.)

I care! My babies know I care. Dey know I love ‘em!

LEANDER

Is that right? You care about them and don’t give a damn ‘bout me!

FRANCES

I...I…

LEANDER

You what?

(He moves closer towards the dining area, but stops short of it when FRANCES responds.)

FRANCES

(quietly) I care…

LEANDER

(snaps back) Do ya now? Well, if you did, you wouldn’t’ve left me alone with 9 babies to raise on my own like I have time to tend to all dem chullen.

FRANCES

(with confidence) I’m sho you figured it out. I did.

(FRANCES turns to examine the pots, opening the drawer to take out serving spoons or forks for all the pots and a carving knife for the turkey.)

LEANDER

(sits up on couch) Woman, what’chu say to me? I knew it wouldn’t be long before you start sassing me. I don’t know where you got this attitude from, but I really thought that all this would have been over with by now. When are gonna be where you belong? With me! You really thought you could just leave me on the drop of a dime, and I would just be okay with it. You think I am some kinda fool. I was born at night, but not last night!

FRANCES

(turning towards him, but not moving closer to him) I couldn’t stay no mo’! What’chu think was goin’ on when you were workin’? I wuz waist deep in diapers, bottles, and dirty clothes. On top of dat, I wuz keepin’ da house clean, seein’ dem older kids off to school, and workin’ dem fields every day. You come home, and I dunno what I’d get: a lovin’ man, a drunk man, or a angry man. I got da worst thang of all…a drunk, angry man! It ain’t no way to live, Buster! If it wuz up to you, I’ll still be barefoot and pregnant wit our twenty-third chile livin’ on yo’ scraps!

LEANDER

Scraps! The scraps I gave you were more than anythang you could ever get on yo own! I gave you a life! (gets up from the couch) I took you out of that shack you came from and gave you your own place. You didn’t go hungry. You had all yo needs met. Yo daddy was happy to give me yo hand in marriage! He knew I could take care of you! He saw hisself in me. He saw a man who loved his daughter, and I still do. So why don’t you come home and give our son his house back?

FRANCES

No!

LEANDER

No?

FRANCES

Yes, no!

LEANDER

Why you being so hard-headed? You made your point, now come on home! The rest of your kids need you. I need you. Most importantly, I know you need me.

FRANCES

(confidently) Oh, yeah? How you know?

LEANDER

            (LEANDER slowly starts to move closer to FRANCES.)

How are you going to build a life for yourself? Ain’t nobody gon’ hire a woman with no skills and no job!

FRANCES

 (steadies herself) I got a job. I clean houses, and I’m in school to help my readin’.

LEANDER

You don’t need to be doin’ that if you come on where you belong. Franny, come on home!

FRANCES

That place…that place ain’t been my home for a long time. It never wuz safe fo’ me or our chullen.

LEANDER

Safe? No one has ever robbed us! You never had to want for nothin’! I gave you and our chullen a life that was way better than what we had!

FRANCES

You KNOW what I mean, Buster!

LEANDER

            (LEANDER freezes, looking confused)

What you mean?

FRANCES

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN! I had it wit you beatin’ me and not knowin’ what man I got err’day. When I wuz up in da hospital for five days, your chile, Peggy, saved me from you. You was gon’ kill me dat day, and I ain’t see it til I woke up in the hospital. Peggy saved me from you when I couldn’t save her from you.

LEANDER

Franny, I’m sorry. I wish I could take it all back. I swear I have changed. I’m different now. Being without you all this time made me see what I had. I need you. The kids need you, but you have to forgive me.

FRANCES

You right ‘bout one thang. My chullen do need me. Dey need me alive! Dey need me away from you!  Just you wait, I’m gon’ save the rest of my chullen! 

LEANDER

Over my dead body! You think you can demand MY CHULLEN FROM ME! You lost your chance to be a mom when you left.

FRANCES

You think I don’t hear from them? You ain’t doin’ no betta. You should be shamed for da way you treated us.

LEANDER

Oh, yeah? See this is why you need me. You are out of order, woman! You can’t even stay submitted to your husband. You can’t even forgive your husband!

FRANCES

And you don’t luh me like Christ luh da chutch! Whatchu know ‘bout scripture? You did whatchu wanted, when you wanted, and thought ‘bout nobody else, but you! Not me, not our chullen, but you!

LEANDER

YOU OUTTA LINE! I AM GONNA TEACH YOU TO RESPECT ME!

(LEANDER charges at her. FRANCIS runs around and heads for the wall-mounted phone. As she grabs it, LEANDER grabs her, yanking the phone off the wall. As they scuffle, LEANDER pins her to the ground. LEANDER rears back to hit her, but FRANCIS reaches for the phone and hits him in the head with it. He falls over. FRANCIS is able to break free, so she gets up and heads to the counter and frantically looks for a weapon to defend herself. She grabs a knife.  FRANCES turns to see that LEANDER is stunned and crawling towards the couch to help him get up on his feet. FRANCES takes this time to catch her breath with knife in hand ready for his next attack. LEANDER tries to steady himself and slowly gets up.)

FRANCES

I ain’t dat lil’ gal you picked up from my daddy’s house 25 years ago! That gal done died in that hospital a couple years ago, and she ain’t comin’ back!

LEANDER

Franny, I know you are angry, but you will regret this. That is a promise. You need me.

FRANCES

Buster, if you don’t get out dis house…YOU will regret it!

(LEANDER sneers at her and debates whether to say or do anything else. FRANCES stands resolute, looking LEANDER in the eye, as if to dare him to come at her again. Dejected, he grabs his coat and hat and hurries out of the house. After he exits, FRANCES rushes to lock the door behind him. She walks back towards the phone on the floor, picks it up in an effort to remount it to the wall. It rings twice, then BLACKOUT)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisiana Words Remembers Jorge Arturo

There’s nothing that hurts more than when we lose someone from our Louisiana Words family. But, the beauty of our writing movement is that the words of our loved ones live on with us.   On June 20th, 2023, Louisiana Words Allstar, Jorge Arturo, moved on from this world leaving our hearts broken. He was a charismatic and talented human being. Jorge resided in New Orleans, LA and had been active on Louisiana Words for over a year. To honor Jorge’s life and work, we will be sharing his writing and live performances all Summer 2023. Please help keep his spirit alive by sharing his work. We know that Jorge’s words will connect with our readers and we hope to keep his spirit alive.  Jorge’s first submission: “The Dog Show” debuted on February 6th, 2022 and is his most successful piece to date. In 2022, Jorge spent 10 weeks in the top with “The Dog Show,” “Weavers,”  “They Say Love Kills, This Time It Really Did,” and “If Hell is Real, It Looks Like an Airport.” His last piece was “Fairy Tale

Fairy Tales Can Kiss My Ass (Jorge Arturo - New Orleans, LA)

    You were so certain when you got tucked into bed every night that the fairy tale stories rocking you to sleep would be waiting around the corner; waiting to cradle you in their ancient hands and see you through to your happy ending. And it was a naïve smile that learned to settle on your lips as you watched pieces of that magical story get chiseled away, and reshaped, and often even annihilated by the road put out in front of you. So maybe the mother didn’t survive. Maybe the father was too preoccupied with his own grief to remember the teary-eyed child begging him for for safety.   Maybe you didn’t grow up beautiful. Maybe you didn’t grow up strong. Maybe when you sang songs they were out of pitch, and no forest critters came soaring to your aid. But, if nothing else, the fairy tale promised romance, you assured yourself – a savior atop a white steed who braved through the tragedy and saw someone worth saving on the other side of it. And you were so desperat

The Man Under the Water (TK Craft - New Orleans, LA)

              Sitting at the edge of the small motorboat, Jordan willed himself to take deep slow breaths. Every time he opened his eyes and looked out at the endless water; panic began to overcome him.  Against the vastness of the ocean his small frame felt like almost nothing, this sense only made his fear grow worse. All he could do was stare out at the still surface for what felt like hours trying to gather the strength to jump into the depths.              When he was fifteen, Jordan almost drowned in the ocean. He hadn’t been particularly frightened of the water till that day. In fact, he had no real emotional connection to it at all. He’d taken swimming lessons every summer so when the riptide carried him further out to sea he didn’t panic. He just reoriented himself to the shore and dove down to begin a swim towards land. That’s when he saw him glistening in the depths.             Jordan was proud of himself for sitting on the edge of the boat as long as he did. He spent the