Skip to main content

My Sympathy (Because You Need It) (Ted Richard-Church Point, LA)


So now your son is dead
And you want to grieve for his untimely death.
Please accept my condolences.
You decided to come to the funeral home and expected to be welcomed with open arms.
But you were sadly mistaken!
You seem to have forgotten that your son was MY husband.
And that you disowned him years ago.
For so many years he felt the hatred that spewed forth from your venomous mouth,
And when he finally broke free,
You decided to blame ME for everything that was WRONG with him.
Well, let me tell you something!!
There was not a DAMN thing WRONG with my husband.
Yes, there were little things that kinda irritated me, but I’m sure that feeling was mutual.
But the very thing that you thought was WRONG with your son
Is the VERY thing that I LOVED about him.
Your son taught me about pride, honor, friendship and love;
The kind of things he NEVER got from you.
But he NEVER blamed you.
You see, it’s hard to blame ignorance on the ignorant.
But my husband DID learn a lot from you, and he passed that on to me.
He learned about all the man that he NEVER wanted to be.
He learned that pride comes from within, while you taught him to conform.
He learned that honor is something that is earned, not something you get just because you’re older.
He learned that friendship is about trust, and not about the need for acceptance.
And he learned that love is something you should give freely,
Instead of the hatred that he learned from YOU!
So YES, my husband did learn a lot from you
And I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Because had my husband NOT learned from you the things he DID NOT want to be,
He would never have turned into the man that he truly became.
My friend
My partner
My lover
My husband.
The man who loved me unconditionally, even when you could never do the same for him.
So I’ll offer to you the graces that you would never have given to your son.
I’ll allow you to grieve in your own way and in your own space.
But tread very lightly on these hallowed floors
Because your son and his loved ones (that doesn’t include you) don’t want you here,
And neither do I.
So don’t think that you can come here and expect any sort of sympathy from anyone in this room.
Because through your own ignorance, you can’t even realize that you don’t belong here.
But if you really want to stay, I’ll be gracious.
Just sit in that chair way in the back of the room
And you can listen to all of the great things that people have to say about your son.
And pretend, in your warped mind, that you were somehow inspirational to him.
If that’s what you wanna do, then fine.
But I’d better not hear you opening your mouth
Complaining about how all of your son’s “problems” were my fault
Or how you could have raised him “better”.
Because you’re too stupid to realize that the son you raised and then threw out
Turned out to be more than you could ever hope to be.
So you can just sit there in that chair and be quiet
Or you can leave now.
Either way, your son, MY HUSBAND will be just fine!!
Oh and one more thing, your son, MY HUSBAND, gave me the courage to speak my mind!
And I just did !!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.