Skip to main content

Louisiana Words is Back in 2020 to Bring Us Together!


Laissez les bon temp rouler! 

Welcome to Louisiana Words new family & welcome back our seasoned family!  

Louisiana Words is a self-expression outlet for statewide artists for casual, hobby, or community. All Louisianans are accepted! Anyone who lives or has lived in Louisiana may submit (louisianawords@gmail.com). We accept poetry, fiction, short screenplays, short drama, photography, paintings, & musical performances. 

*We do not accept political-motivated art, nor do we endorse politicians or support politics.*

On December 29th, 2012, Louis Toliver Jr. made the first post on Louisiana Words, called "The Louisiana Social Pledge." Two weeks prior, The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newton, Connecticut had occurred. It was a mass shooting leaving twenty children between 6 -7 years old and six adults dead. In short, "The Louisiana Social Pledge" was a plea for society to choose creativity over violence and to also to communicate to each other better. There has never been such an artistic expression to let out the angst and turmoil of the times with violence and the abuse of social media. Louis learned and understood: the more emotions we let out and don't hold in, the less likely we are to be violent.

From there, Louis began writing and recruiting other writers to express themselves. Louisiana Words contains 7 years of a variety of types of writing and writing styles. Louisiana Words contains 7 years of a variety of authentic feelings and emotions from happiness to sadness, from hope to despair, and from strength to vulnerability. All born from everyone's impact with Louisiana culture. Louisiana Words is a place of Louisiana truths. As of August 30th, 2020, over 100 writers and 1,200 poems and stories have been contributed with creator, Louis Toliver Jr. contributing over 300 them.

On December 29th, 2020, Louisiana Words will turn 8 years old! To celebrate this occasion, Louisiana Words will officially become a nonprofit organization and build our community's reputation in giving Louisiana natives and those inspired a platform for freedom of creative expression!

Please follow upcoming postings for more about Louisiana Words and what it offers weekly (when in season). Also, please watch for postings about our extension website, Mots De Louisiane (MotsdeLouisiane.com), which is also the official publication title for Louisiana Words most prominent writers. Last, there will be postings about Louisiana Words public shows both live and virtual, including a Top 10 city virtual tour.

We are always continuing to evolve and elevate our community!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.