Skip to main content

The Raging Furor of Rejection (Le Voir N. Lewis - New Orleans, LA)

 


My perception may have been a little cloudy,
but my vision was clear as glass,
Watching the way you would look at me,
admiring my dry wit and sass.

Our experiences are what bonded us,
our lives made us a duo, at best.
It didn’t take much for you to put your trust in me,
so I let fate take care of the rest.

Behold, a drastic change in your output of love,
You grimaced at my desire.
Suddenly I felt the warm, brash sensation of embarrassment.
Your detest set my soul on fire.

The coldness of your attention,
the prickly tension when I call your name.
Your answer to another interest at night, right about now.
Our friendship will never be the same.

I ask have you betrayed me?
Your answer is so innocent, “No, never.”
Your devilish charm exudes lies and deceit.
You, my once friend, aren’t so clever.

I’ve had doors closed in my face a few times before,
and my relationships are so few.
But a flicker of hope radiated through my soul
the first moment I saw you.

You enjoy your nights of living it up
with your new bestie and lover on the side.
I can no longer embarrass myself
and chase after someone. I have too much pride.

Each night the burn of embarrassment lessens
more and more from my heart.
I’ve concentrated on creating a better version of me
so I continue to love myself from the start.

I will never fall so hard for someone else,
putting my soul and mind in utter dejection.
I will forever keep cool and know my self-worth,
escaping the raging furor of rejection.

 Copyright ©Le Voir N. Lewis 2022

All rights reserved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.