Skip to main content

The Story of the "I Think I Can" Kid (Sinisa Juncan - Baton Rouge, LA)


Once upon a time there was a kid named Jimmy, and he was just an average kid. When he was seven, his mom took him to the carnival and insisted he go on the roller coaster with her. He clenched his fists and closed his eyes and whispered, "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can," but he couldn't because he was afraid of heights, and his mom understood, and she let him be. 

When he was nine, he fell in love with a girl named Alice, and he asked her for a kiss, and she allowed it. He closed his eyes, pursed his lips and whispered, "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can," but he couldn't because he was too nervous, and Alice understood and smiled because she thought it was cute. She kissed him on the cheek and let him be. 

When he was ten he had to recite a speech in front of the whole class. He prepared his notes, approached the podium and took a deeÑ€ breath, whispering, "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can," but he was frozen with fear and could not muster more than a whimper. His teacher understood and allowed him to return to his seat. 

When he was thirteen he found he could not get out of bed, for there was no point. He sighed, thought about the hole in his chest where his heart once was, and tried to get out of bed. "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can," he whispered, but he couldn't, and he faked a sickness, and his mom understood and couldn't send him to school when he was sick, so he stayed in bed all day and felt the void grow. 

When he was fifteen, he tossed and turned every night, and he felt the colors of the world around him bleed to grey and the void continued to grow. And when he felt the joy leave him, he tried to conjure up a happy memory. "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can," he said as he reminisced, but couldn't, for in the past fifteen years all he could remember is the void, and he understood why, and he knew what he had to do. 

When he was sixteen, he was home alone, and he snuck into his parents' room, and he found his dad's gun and he loaded it with one bullet and he put it to his head. "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can," he said, and he could, and he pulled the trigger and everything faded to black, and no one understood why or how he could do it, and in their hearts, where he had been, there was just a void.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.