Skip to main content

They Call Me...(Tamara Broussard-Lafayette, LA)

It began as a still small voice,

When life still seemed shiny,
Crying during The Way of the Cross,
This young girl was desperate for Jesus.
The sacramental incense was sweet in my nostrils.
The name above all other names,
Was a joyful song in my heart.
"Little girl you belong to Me!"

When blossom of adolescence turned to thorns,
Pills were ingested,
This young woman desperate to run away,
Run away and die.
Standing at a cold metal screen door,
I was crying again.
This time not for God but to The Divine Parent.
The voice louder, more stern,
Like rain on a tin roof,
"I Am here, go to bed little girl."

Years passed,
God and I,
Off and on again,
Ebbing and flowing,
Other gods took The Almighty one's place.
A new song filled my soul,
Honky tonk replaced hymns,
Jack Daniels replaced Jesus Christ.
My Creator's call came louder still,
"Choose life little girl!"

Like a scene from a morality play,
A chorus of wingless angels came singing,
A song that saved my life.
The call came again,
A request to be of service,
To do His purpose,
Fear became like cotton in my heart's ears,
As the familiar song played again.
"You are My hands and feet little girl!"

Every time I pray I hear it.
Every sacred word I read I feel it.
The calling comes,
Along with the fear.
" Serve My flock,
Be the woman I made you to be,
Little girl."
Always loving,
Always kind,
God always calls me little girl.

But does God know,
Under this smooth brown skin,
Are chicken feathers?
In this heart full of love and mercy,
Is prejudice, intolerance and lust?
In this mind full of the knowledge
Of His word and immeasurable loving kindness,
Is porn and the word Fuck?
Does The Master of the Universe know that I not afraid of,
If I can do it but if I should?
When I asked the answer came as a question:
"Does the want of loving and serving Me outweigh lust and serving self, little girl?"

That question made me feel,
Like Atlas under the globe.
Pins and needles,
Needles and pins,
Pierced my conscience and my soul.
Me a minister of Gods' word and love,
A vicar to Christ's people?
Me, Tamara Dolores Broussard?
The very thought fills me with,
Desperation to do God's will,
Joy at the possibilities,
Excitement to see people's shock.
A application to seminary has been filled and signed.
God calls me 'little girl'.
Soon they will call me...
Reverend Tamara.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.