The Louisiana Social Pledge

We pledge our allegiance to Louisiana. We will embrace what makes us and our state unique. Louisiana will be recognized as a leader and innovator of the New South. Many great leaders of the future will come from this state. And we will show both the media and politicians that we are smarter than them. We will no longer have our resources exhausted and our people used and left behind. We will work hard and play hard. We will protect each other. We will support each other. We pledge that we will do whatever we can to get these things in motion right now. We will no longer wait for a path to be cleared for us. We will clear the path ourselves. And we ain’t giving up easily. We will socialize in the real world just as well as we do on the internet…in hopes to organize ourselves effectively.


Sunday, September 1, 2013

Just Like Him (Joseph Benoit-Iowa, LA)


My father's silence spoke volumes to me. It never mattered what we did when I was with him, just that I was with him. 


Over the years, she who spawned me would shout at me in a curse, "You'll be just like your father!!".


Well, she was right in so many ways. I didn't/don't put up with her bullshit. In fact, I haven't seen or spoken to her since my step-father's funeral, 10+ years ago. I don't plan on speaking to her ever again, much less attend HER funeral. Fuck paying for it.


Yes, I am like my father. However, in 2 things I am different. I will not die at 58, by my son "adjusting" my morphine drip, because I don't have the strength to take care of it myself. In fact, I plan to live to twice that age, that I might "erase" those things which she adulterated. 


I held my father as he died. I told him all of the things that he "couldn't" say to me. I told him how much I had and will ALWAYS love him. 


He left for good reasons, just as he drank for good reasons. I know why he left. I know why he drank. I know that he loved me, no matter what.


That is more than I can or will ever say about "her".


What I did 20 years ago...I would do again today. Love of Life is about compassion, and Choice. I choose to Live, and to Love.


Maybe one day, I can afford to place his name upon the tomb in which he is buried. Until then, I know where to find him, and that is ALWAYS in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment