Skip to main content

21st Century Problems: Episode 5 (Louis Toliver Jr - Swartz, LA)


The drive to work is one of my favorite times of the day! Why? Because I get to sing and dance in my truck! Yay! Being that I have 5 jobs, I get to do it often! Yay! So, I had my Rico Suave going on this particular morning as I was getting into my truck and just as I was about to bluetooth my Spotify to my radio, my neighbor (from Episode #1) tapped on my window, which startled me and I let out a small shriek. I rolled down the window. “Sorry, to startle you, but I really need to see if this CD I burned works. It won’t play in my car.” Ugh, it was always something with him. “I don’t have a CD player in my truck.” His faced turned into something sinister. “What do you mean you don’t have a CD player. No internet? No CD? What’s wrong with you?” I really thought this was once bitchy dude. “Actually, I have internet. I’m late for work.” I was about to roll up the window and he stopped me. “I promised my wife I would make her a Best of Michelle Branch mix.” My heart swelled. “Michelle Branch? O-M-G, I love Michelle Branch!” I thought this was a convenient coincidence. “Okay, just get in my truck and we’ll find a place.” My neighbor got in and it was awkward at first, but I didn’t care because we had a serious goal to achieve. I really didn’t have the time to make a Michelle Branch playlist on Spotify or purchase the songs on ITunes between dealing with my A.D.D., playing online with Fisheater2013, and my 5 jobs, so I could upload this CD to my computer later and transfer the songs to my Iphone. “What you want to listen to?” I asked him but I was going to play whatever I wanted anyway. “You got Fine Young Cannibals?” And like that my neighbor, Nate, and I became friends. When we got to Best Buy, we got one of the geek squad members to assist us in solving our CD issue. To make certain, we tried the CD out on every CD player on display. We determined Nate’s car was the issue. We were also able to burn me a copy of this Best of Michelle Branch mix there even though my radio was too modern to play CDS. Before I dropped Nate off, I realized that I had known him for quite a while before I actually new his name. “Thanks buddy, have a good day at work,” he said as he left my truck. Then it occurred to me that I was 3 hours late for work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.