Skip to main content

The Lake (Ingrid Kerr-Leesville, LA)

I sense her presence. I am going to meet her again. Although I cannot see her yet, I know she is near. I am walking on a dirt path which winds along a lake. The path is narrow and the lake is long, yet not very wide and I see evergreen trees growing thick on the other side. As I walk along the path, the lake is on my right and rocky outcroppings begin to rise out of the land on my left. I come to a dock and I see her waiting for me there. To pass time, she is throwing rocks at a wooden target high up in the rocky outcroppings. I know she has military experience, so she is adept at target practice and she easily hits the target with the rocks. I tell her I’m amazed at how efficiently she hits the target. She then misses with the next few rocks that she throws. This frustrates her, so I turn her attention to the dock. At the end of the dock sit three birds - a white pelican, a fat rooster with a plume of brown and iridescent green and blue feathers and the third bird, which, upon closer inspection is actually a small red dragon with wings. We walk to the end of the dock where the birds and dragon-bird sit. They are not frightened by us. They do not move away. I pick up the pelican and throw it into the air, much like a man throws a discus at the Olympic games. The pelican twirls awkwardly through the air, finally spreads its wings, revealing black tips on the end of each wing, and soars away into the sky. We are stunned by its sudden elegance. I turn my attention to the dragon-bird which transforms into an intricately designed clay castle right before our eyes. The clay castle is just small enough for me to hold in both arms. It has multiple round watchtowers and round arsenal towers, a middle bailey, an outer bailey and is completely lined with embrasures, merlons, and arrow loops at the top of its walls. She points out an imperfection in one of the watchtowers rising out of the outer bailey. I acknowledge the blemish and move my fingers over it to mold the malleable clay when the upper portion of the castle diffuses and morphs with the lower portion of the castle. We are not surprised by this at all, merely delighted, and she helps me shape and mold the fused, now shorter castle. Next, I look at the last bird remaining on the dock – the fat rooster with the plume of iridescent feathers. I take it and hurl it into the sky. It swirls through the sky, only to land with a plop in the lake just past the end of the dock. At first it appears to be swimming, but then it starts to sink and only its head is above water. I’m worried it will drown, but then it brings its beautifully feathered body above water again and begins swimming once more only to start sinking again a moment later with only its head above water. All of a sudden she and I find ourselves standing on the path again. The swimming-drowning rooster is far from us and I am so concerned that I begin to wade into the lake to try to save it. She stays behind on the path on the shore and watches. Just as I am up to my knees in the water I see a canoe approaching. It is filled with a family of five Africans; mother, father, a son and two young daughters. One of the daughters yells towards me, “Hey, it’s just a thought, but… we’ll save the rooster! ” The father rows the canoe past the end of the dock where the rooster is swim-drowning and the girl plucks it out of the water and pulls it into their canoe. She cradles it in her arms and her father continues rowing the canoe down the lake, angling for the shore where I know they will set the rooster free. I wade back to shore and return to her. She looks plump and healthy, but when I hug her and press her to me her body feels like skin and bones. She does not hug me back. Her arms hang limply at her sides. I hug her and hug her. It is a pulse-like motion. I squeeze and release, squeeze and release. I sense that I’m extracting and discharging the negative energy she has acquired due to this dilemma at the lake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Louisiana Words Remembers Jorge Arturo

There’s nothing that hurts more than when we lose someone from our Louisiana Words family. But, the beauty of our writing movement is that the words of our loved ones live on with us.   On June 20th, 2023, Louisiana Words Allstar, Jorge Arturo, moved on from this world leaving our hearts broken. He was a charismatic and talented human being. Jorge resided in New Orleans, LA and had been active on Louisiana Words for over a year. To honor Jorge’s life and work, we will be sharing his writing and live performances all Summer 2023. Please help keep his spirit alive by sharing his work. We know that Jorge’s words will connect with our readers and we hope to keep his spirit alive.  Jorge’s first submission: “The Dog Show” debuted on February 6th, 2022 and is his most successful piece to date. In 2022, Jorge spent 10 weeks in the top with “The Dog Show,” “Weavers,”  “They Say Love Kills, This Time It Really Did,” and “If Hell is Real, It Looks Like an Airport.” His last piece was “Fairy Tale

Fairy Tales Can Kiss My Ass (Jorge Arturo - New Orleans, LA)

    You were so certain when you got tucked into bed every night that the fairy tale stories rocking you to sleep would be waiting around the corner; waiting to cradle you in their ancient hands and see you through to your happy ending. And it was a naïve smile that learned to settle on your lips as you watched pieces of that magical story get chiseled away, and reshaped, and often even annihilated by the road put out in front of you. So maybe the mother didn’t survive. Maybe the father was too preoccupied with his own grief to remember the teary-eyed child begging him for for safety.   Maybe you didn’t grow up beautiful. Maybe you didn’t grow up strong. Maybe when you sang songs they were out of pitch, and no forest critters came soaring to your aid. But, if nothing else, the fairy tale promised romance, you assured yourself – a savior atop a white steed who braved through the tragedy and saw someone worth saving on the other side of it. And you were so desperat

The Man Under the Water (TK Craft - New Orleans, LA)

              Sitting at the edge of the small motorboat, Jordan willed himself to take deep slow breaths. Every time he opened his eyes and looked out at the endless water; panic began to overcome him.  Against the vastness of the ocean his small frame felt like almost nothing, this sense only made his fear grow worse. All he could do was stare out at the still surface for what felt like hours trying to gather the strength to jump into the depths.              When he was fifteen, Jordan almost drowned in the ocean. He hadn’t been particularly frightened of the water till that day. In fact, he had no real emotional connection to it at all. He’d taken swimming lessons every summer so when the riptide carried him further out to sea he didn’t panic. He just reoriented himself to the shore and dove down to begin a swim towards land. That’s when he saw him glistening in the depths.             Jordan was proud of himself for sitting on the edge of the boat as long as he did. He spent the