Skip to main content

Boys Are Stupid (Skyra Francesca Rideaux-Lafayette, LA)



You think you can just have me the way you need me
but you don’t see me,
you compartmentalize me
you strip me with your indifference
you make love to me with your
inability to say
you want me
your feet walk away from me every time
I wear jeans with no panties
my power is wrapped up in you
and I want that shit back
your neglect has stained my soul with
black flecks of insecurity
don’t show me off to the world
only to introduce me by my first name
I am more than that
my sex is more than your hesitance
to kiss me
you strip me with your indifference
you lie to me with every date that ends in a perfunctory hug
I want more
I want you
to want
to want me
I am enough
my lov-, like for you is enough
our bodies moving together in the same car
traveling down the same lonely highway
Is enough
for us
to start
but your constant state of stationary
is pissing off my attraction
wearing down my horny obsession
for your lips to stroke mine
if you cant respect my power
then stop telling me you need me everytime you say yes
everytime you come around
everytime your eyes flirt with mine
everytime you see me say I lov- , like you
and close your eyes and shut your ears you abuse my power
so
STOP
stop saying you lov-
like me too
because im starting to believe you
give me back
me
all of me
to give to someone who wants
me
all of me
all… of …me
because although how you feel about me
has nothing to do
with how I feel about you
I will still walk away with missing pieces


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Come Hither (Annette Redmond Walters - Lafayette, LA)

I meant it not this way but the tears just flow and my makeup smearing all the more, leaving behind that familiar filthy residue. I may have begun to drive myself away, dragging you down as well. But it's done, I've flipped the switch and now it's dark once more. How painful is the music to my ears, I can't stand to be alone in it, yet here I am again. I pray you fly back and safely and warmly to me, though I fear I've dug the grave too deeply. As the dirt shifts within my soul, I choke on those loving words I'd  meant for you. All the fragments of light I see becoming smaller and I wish to be near you in your embrace that might make me feel the warmth I'm missing. And in reality, I doubt I'd breathe another breath without you. So come hither and quickly soothe my dying heart, you are the only cure I know. I cry and cry again, come hither to heal and love me. Come hither and help me dry my tears.

Let That Fucker Burn (John Chenvert - Napoleonville, LA)

Let that fucker burn. Let the fire crackle like the whips once did— like bone meeting leather, like screams swallowed by the trees. Let the white columns crumble to ash. Not as tragedy— but as truth, unearthing itself from beneath generations of silence. Nottoway is not a mansion. It’s a mausoleum. A lie carved in stone to honor the hands that held the whip, not the backs that bore it. They called it the “White Castle.” A place of beauty. A place for weddings, for photo ops, for pretending that horror can be made elegant if the curtains match the guilt. But no paint can cover what happened there. Blood doesn’t wash out with white linens. And pain doesn’t forget just because you renamed it history. I’m not Black. And I won’t pretend to carry that weight. But I also won’t ignore it. My people—the Guanches—were taken too. Our language silenced. Our land stolen. Our names nearly erased. So yes, I know colonization. Yes, I know what it means to be disappeared. But I also know this— my skin ...

The Peculiar New Room (Nick Perere - Baton Rouge, LA)

A peculiar fourth room has appeared in my three bedroom abode. High ceilings Higher than any ceiling in the house Perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls The largest window one can imagine Stretching from floor to ceiling  Wide as an ocean’s horizon  Revealing the  lushest  greenery and the bluest skies.  I am meant to show masterpieces here.   But in one of the corners  o f the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls  i s an ugly patch of dirt. Dirt darker than charred coal.  And the dirt is crawling And multiplying.  With their spindly legs and dangly antennae  Vermin covered in filth and willingly ready to spread their germs Scuffing the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.   But I have to move on,  I have a gallery to exhibit. Smile and act as  if  nothing is wrong. Come.   Enjoy the show.   Enjoy the artwork hanging  Upon the perfectly pristine whitewashed gallery walls.